Most of our buildings do not require planning permission

Permitted development rights allow you to perform certain types of work without needing to apply for planning permission, and derive from general planning permission granted not by the local authority but by Parliament.

For more information on planning and permitted development you can find it on the planning portal in the outbuilding section (click here). We will work with you to come to your ideal design, and we’ll ensure we design the building within the permitted development guidelines where required.

Visual planning permission diagram

Select one of the options below to see what the rules are for you. 99% of our buildings are built under permitted development rights.

Road Front GardenAny building in your front garden will require planning permission. Side GardenNo building here if conservation area or AONB/national parks Back GardenWe can typically build a standard height (2.5m) Vivid Green garden room anywhere in your back garden, so long as it is directly behind your house. In national parks and protected land, the total area to be covered by anyoutbuildings more than 20m from any wall of the house must not exceed 10sqmto be permitted development. Back GardenWe will need to get in touch with your local planning authority and acquire planning permission for your Vivid Green garden room. Back GardenTo fall within permitted development rights, we can typically build your extended height (3m flat roof or 4m pitched roof) Vivid Green garden roomanywhere in your back or side garden, as long as it is 2m away from your garden boundary. An extended height building within 2m of your boundary will require planning permission. 2m Back GardenWe can typically build your standard height (2.5m tall) Vivid Green garden room anywhere in your back garden. Original HouseAs it stood in 1948 Extension Driveway Property Boundary

Below are some of the most common reasons why you may need planning:

  • If you live in a flat, apartment or maisonette – Unfortunately these types of property do not hold the same permit development rights as houses so will require a full planning application.
  • If you live in an area defined as designated land, i.e. areas of outstanding natural beauty, national parks, the Broads and conservation areas (although the rule is generally looser in conservation areas, it is easy to check with your local council. Normally if the building cannot be seen from the road and conforms to permitted development regulations it should be fine).
  • If you are planning on building forward of the principal elevation of the house, which is generally classed as the elevation containing the front door.
  • If you plan to build a building over the permitted development regulation heights of:
    • 2.5m if within 2m of any boundary (flat roof)
    • 3m if further than 2m from any boundary (flat roof)
    • 4m if further than 2m from any boundary (pitched roof)
  • If you live in a listed building
  • If your planned building takes the total area of land occupied by buildings (other than the original dwelling house as was in 1947) to over half then planning will be required.
  • If you or anyone else is planning to live in the new building planning permission will be required.

If you are unsure whether you will require planning permission please give us a call on 0800 051 8366 and have a chat with our experienced team.

Start your vivid journey

Start planning your vivid dreams, complete the form below to start your journey.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Arrange a Free Site Survey

Our free, no obligation site survey is the perfect time to realise your dream garden building!

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.