DO I NEED PLANNING PERMISSION?
The majority of the time the answer is ‘No’, we generally design our garden buildings and extension to stay within the parameters of your ‘permitted development rights’. Permitted development rights allow you to perform certain types of work without needing to apply for planning permission, and derive from general planning permission granted not by the local authority but by Parliament. For more information on planning and permitted development you can find it on the planning portal in the outbuilding section (click here)
We will work with you to come to your ideal design, and we’ll ensure we design the building within the permitted development guidelines where required.
Below are some of the most common reasons why you may need planning:
- If you live in a flat, apartment or maisonette – Unfortunately these types of property do not hold the same permit development rights as houses so will require a full planning application.
- If you live in an area defined as designated land, i.e. areas of outstanding natural beauty, national parks, the Broads and conservation areas (although the rule is generally looser in conservation areas, it is easy to check with your local council. Normally if the building cannot be seen from the road and conforms to permitted development regulations it should be fine).
- If you are planning on building forward of the principal elevation of the house, which is generally classed as the elevation containing the front door.
- If you plan to build a building over the permitted development regulation heights of:
- 2.5m if within 2m of any boundary (flat roof)
- 3m if further than 2m from any boundary (flat roof)
- 4m if further than 2m from any boundary (pithed roof)
- If you live in a listed building
- If your planned building takes the total area of land occupied by buildings (other than the original dwelling house as was in 1947) to over half then planning will be required.
- If you or anyone else is planning to live in the new building planning permission will be required.
If you are unsure whether you will require planning permission please give us a call and have a chat with our experienced team.
SPACE FOR WORK
SPACE FOR REST
SPACE FOR PLAY
SPACE FOR LIVING
SPACE FOR LEARNING
SPACE FOR BUSINESS
Please fill in our contact form, drop us an email or give us a call to book your FREE site survey.
We are also available to chat about your potential project and answer any questions you may have, so get in touch to speak with our very experienced team.
09:00 - 18:00 Mon-Sat
Woodberry Grove, London, N12 0DR